Saying Horchata in different languages:
Hindi: काले चावल
Afrikaans: swart rys
French: riz noir
What is Black Rice?
Black rice which is also known as forbidden rice or purple rice, which is rare in the food world. Some of its varieties include Indonesian black rice and Thai jasmine black rice. That dark color of rice is due to an excess of anthocyanin, a powerful antioxidant that’s the culprit for most darkly colored plants.
Forbidden rice or purple rice is also known as Chak-hao in Manipur which is an Indian state. They made desserts from black rice and served at major feasts. It’s occasionally called “emperor’s rice” or “forbidden rice” for that very reason: Oral history suggests that only the richest of the rich were able to afford the delicacy. Best way to eat black rice is making desserts from it because its natural flavor is rich and sweet. Other then dessert it is suitable for traditional Chinese black rice cake, bread, and noodles.
Black Rice / Forbidden Rice Nutrition
- High intakes of antioxidants in it during pregnancy can help boost your immune system and may reduce the risk of type II diabetes, obesity and wheezing in your child.
- It contains only around 160 calories.
- It offers a very high amount of flavonoid phytonutrients, a good source of important fiber, the substantial mineral content including iron and copper, and even a good source of plant-based protein.
- The outside hull of the grain has one of the highest levels of anthocyanin antioxidants of any food.
- Has higher arsenic levels than white if rice is grown in contaminated soils.
Black Rice / Forbidden Rice Health Benefits
These are the few benefits of black rice which are rare and healthier than most other closely related rice varieties,
- Protects Heart Health
- Helps Slow Down Absorption of Sugar in the Blood, Helping to Prevent Diabetes
- Full of Antioxidants
- A Naturally Gluten Free Grain
- Can Help Detoxify the Body
- Good Source of Fiber Which Improves Digestive Health
Black Rice / Forbidden Rice Facts
- When you cook or soak Asian black rice, it changes from black into a deep purple or burgundy color.
- Rice is being researched to prevent Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and even cancer.
- During the Ming Dynasty, emperors believed that eating forbidden rice promised a long life of good health.
- Like other varieties of rice, black rice cooking time is same, it takes around 30 – 35 minutes only.
You might also like: What is Horned melon?