What is the Hottest Pepper in the World?
Following are the Top Ten Hottest Peppers in the World 2017
- Carolina Reaper 2,150,000 SHUCarolina Reaper is officially the Worlds Hottest Pepper as ranked by Guinness Records. There is nothing normal about this pepper. It was bred for heat and that it is, with an average SHU – Scoville Heat Unit (A measure of Spiciness) of over 1.5 million and peaks at 2.2 Million SHU
- Trinidad Moruga Scorpion 2,009,231 SHUTrinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend, AKA Moruga Scorpion, is rare sought after pepper that was only just recently discovered.
Native to the lands of Moruga in Trinidad and Tobago. Once you take a bite of this formidable pepper the heat never stops building.
- 7 Pot Douglah 1,853,936 SHUWell renown in the pepper community as one of the hottest peppers with the best flavor. This is the hottest pepper that is not red.
The hottest “superhot” peppers are traditionally red, but the Douglah defies the odds by being brown AND sizzling hot.
You can’t go wrong with fresh, dried, or powdered Douglah on any food. Also known as 7 Pod Douglah, Chocolate 7 Pod or the 7 Pot Brown.
- 7 Pot Primo 1,469,000 SHUThe 7 Pot Primo is very distinctive with its long skinny “tail”. Created by horticulturist, Troy Primeaux, and some recent peppers cultivators have tried to replicate this look because the tail is just terrifying.
When you just look at this pepper, you know it’s going to be INSANELY hot. It looks strikingly similar to The Carolina Reaper.
- Trinidad Scorpion “Butch T” 1,463,700 SHUIt is the previous Guinness World Record Holder (2011) from Australia. No doubt it’s insanely hot, but other peppers have been proven to be hotter. It’s aptly named due to the scorpion stinger found at the tip of the pepper and also the creator, Butch Taylor.
- Naga Viper 1,349,000 SHUThis is extremely rare pepper cultivated in the UK. Hybrid of many different peppers and years of cross pollination created this variety of “Super HOT” pepper.
- Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) 1,041,427 SHUThe most famous “Super Hot” due to the amount of press it has received in the past. It exploded in popularity on YouTube and other social sites where pepperheads eat whole Ghost Peppers as part of a challenge.This is the first pepper to scientifically test over 1 million scovilles. Many mistakenly still believe it is the World’s Hottest. As you can see, it is far from it.
- 7 Pot Barrackpore ~1,000,000 SHUThe 7 Pot Barrackpore is one of the hottest of the 7 Pot peppers. This one is from the Town of Chaguanas in Trinidad and Tobago.
- 7 Pot Red (Giant) ~1,000,000 SHUThe 7 pots were named after their ability to heat up 7 pots of stew and that it does!
- Red Savina Habanero 500,000 SHUBack in the early years of super hots, the Red Savina Habanero was KING! He has since been dethroned and many peppers have passed him in heat.